Thursday, October 22, 2020

simple shedding

St Louis Post-Despatch 18 May 1902 p. 47

As mentioned a couple of days ago I was surprised to see that a year ago in Turku with that lavish spread I was apparently unproblematically consuming various kinds of cheese. Bread is less surprising because I was eating bread up to two months ago without too much issue, indeed, going to good bakers like Crumbs in Kensington or making my own bread without care. 

Oddly enough I now perceive cheese (as part of the dairy slavery cabal) as cruel and weird, and while intermittently I dabbled with fake cheese I feel now that that stuff (perhaps depending what it's made from - should I try them all out experimentally?) actually makes me feel unwell, probably it's too rich in something. Not only can I now do without cheese and even cheese substitutes, I feel a little nauseous when I think about cheese generally. Remember that Simpsons episode where the cheap mafia milk is rat milk? Well, to me rat milk or cow milk, I make no distinction. That said, I really like this stuff called 'Like Milk', which is apparently made from peas, and I am also fine with oat milk, though I was disappointed to read in Wikipedia that the Oatley company is kind of morally dodgy these days. 

Bread is different, though I do often recall my father detailing the yeast process to me in terms that the yeast thinks it's going to have a life but then it gets baked and dies, although really, I am pretty sure yeast doesn't have ambition. But while I can't entirely remember when I last had bread, I do know I don't really want any anymore (I also recall that in the last year or so, bread has often caused me pain). So I don't know that I'll be going back to that anytime soon.

I suppose the time is approaching when I absolutely cease engagement with a culinary aspect to my tourism, whether it be local or global, and perhaps also going out to a restaurant aside from a completely vegan-friendly restaurant is off the cards. I don't want to rarify myself out of existence with these kinds of things but it seems natural and normal so why not. 

No comments:

is it a bear

Duolingo drives me mad, for instance when it tells me that varovainen is a 'weak word' for me. It's not. I know it means 'ca...