Saturday, October 17, 2020

i am not your superstar


So as mentioned this is the graphic novel I am going to do next, starting with four or five pages I drew in 2003. I can't remember if I showed you these panels. I figure it will probably not be called I am not your superstar which is the title I originally gave it, although I'll decide later about that (I was planning to call my second one Camouflage or perhaps Bricolage (I looked up bricolage in wiktionary, actually looking to check the spelling because I wasn't 100% certain of that, but I saw that it said 'see trash fire', so that kind of led me more in that direction...). 

The top half is good, the bottom half is abandoned - I photocopied this page, cut it in half and continued it in a different direction. 

I'm really looking forward to working on this, I have a whole new cast of characters for the present-day stuff (the woman is the only important character in the above as far as I'm aware, although the guy with a bull on his shirt, Dominic, might play a pivotal role in the story as I'm formulating it, but let me tell you, 17 years later he hasn't aged well). 

In the 2003 pages she is referred to as Desiree but I have decided that is too much. But with people you have to think not 'what sums them up' so much as 'how did their parents sum them up with precisely nothing to go on', so at the moment I am calling her Posey but I think that might change. l guess she is a bit over 40 right now, which means she was born in about 1978, makes sense, she was 25 in the 2003 pages, now she is a very high-ranking public servant with a daughter aged about 15. That's as far as I've got so far. It feels very promising though, I hope you agree. I am going to do this one in colour. 

Re: her name I actually wanted to call her Monica which would have been perfect but that would be pretty unfair on Monika Fikerle who deserves better! 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...