Wednesday, October 28, 2020

fifty years ago today

 

1970 was a horrendous year for so many reasons, and this stupid comic strip from The Age fifty years ago today just sums it up. The first frame is particularly gross and no wonder I turned out the way I did. I did read the comics in the Age but the comics in The Sun were far better. We got the Sun because my grandfather and uncle both worked for it (my other grandfather worked for the Age). 

In 1970 we were living in Kew, and my sister Tamsin was two months old. The house in Kew dated back to I guess about the 1880s, wooden, on a huge block of land. It had one really great room, which we called the sun room, which was at the back of the house and was I imagine a recent (1950s?) addition. It also had a magnificently large back yard. I just went looking on Melbourne 1945 for it but there's insufficient detail, unsurprisingly. 

I started school at East Kew primary in 1970, so I had almost completed 'Grade Prep' with Mrs (or was it Miss?) Ewart when I learned about the freeing of microencapsulated substances by the rupturing of a wall. I was looking forward to worldwide computers, in the abstract, but now I am not so sure. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...