Friday, October 30, 2020

persiflage: minor tweaks


Steve had good ideas for how to simultaneously draw out the tension of the final pages of Persiflage and set the reader up for its deflation, so I've just been patching up his suggested final edits. It's a whole different ballgame reediting something you've drawn but it is perhaps even more satisfying to continue to make it work, or to make it work better, in revision. 

I still have the next one running in the background of my thoughts a lot of the time. A kind of a revenge story I think although I am not sure whether the revenge will be conscious or unconscious. Perhaps unconscious is better. Yes, I've just decided, it is. It will also be a coronavirus story, very 2020. I think I might make it ridiculously overreaching, an epic of preposterous proportions. I may also make it more adult than Persiflage, which sets you up to imagine bizarre sex by depicting a naked woman on the first couple of pages (never seen again) but otherwise only goes so far as to show a vanilla postcoital scene towards the end but is otherwise only shocking in for instance the violence depicted above (which is however clearly framed as faked, cinematic). You're going to love it, well, I am anyway.  

I think it's always best to have something in the works and percolating while you weather the extreme letdown of response to the earlier thing. Gets you through the disappointment/irritation. It's all vanity anyway and as long as you know that you're fine. 

Steve is confident that Persiflage will be out before Christmas. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...