Thursday, October 01, 2020


Nothing ever ends of course and Steve had good ideas about what needed to be fixed in Persiflage including this album cover (note: before you say 'yeah, I see what you mean' - this is the fixed version). The issue was that the album, with all these stupid cod-Weird-Al-Yankovic songtitles on it very firmly establishing the release as 1980 and no later, had all the writing 'smooshed' (I think that was the word Steve used) and hard to read. Not only that, he didn't say this but some of the writing had been done over liquid paper, and looked like shit (this would have been so easy to fix if I had access to a scanner and a printer - I know covid-19 is killing people but what about art?) anyway I redid it and added some better song titles (still not that great, puns are not my strong point) and also an unhappy cat and the legend 'file under OH NO!' which btw is one of those things that has always confused me - who files things under concepts, when did that happen and why? But it's a thing that people say/write/maybe even do. 

For the background this is all about Sherman going to the studio to make his comeback serious album, and the horn section pillory him and he leaves in gloom, but one of the players - a trumpeter who had been more or less mute but played this bum note as a joke - talks to him afterwards and he has an idea, whereby he can kind of turn his album into this big satirical novelty record. Thus it's a victory for hack-dom (the last two song titles are the only songs we know were actually destined to be on Sherman's album) and death to any attempt by Sherman/on his behalf to turn him into a serious artist, even though he clearly has talent. He could have been, I don't know, John Sebastian? Or maybe even Jimmy Webb or something, that said, his lyrics are shocking, and I know, because I wrote them - they're a mixture of whatever happened to him immediately before, and some random extrapolation, and the same lines over and over. Wow, when I explain it all like that I worry maybe it's not obvious from what I put in there what's going on, but I guess that's OK. 

I think shitty albums like this, which by the way I would never listen to, need to have a woman in a bikini and maybe some other animals, the howling dog is a must, of course. Also Laura pointed out that the fractured musical note needed prominence - before Steve suggested a do-over I'd just blacked it in and stuff, but now there are three of them and I think they make more sense. 

No comments:

return of the tree pants

  Well, actually these aren't returning they're new, and the tree never went anywhere, it's unable to do anything about this ind...