Sunday, October 18, 2020

18 October 2019

In no special order, pictures from this day last year in Helsinki.  

An op shop I like, just around the corner from the Hotel Anna where I stayed the first time I went to Helsinki, probably 2011? 


Just an amazing building, no more no less. 
A high-class junk shop I spent quite a bit of time in but bought nothing:







A courtyard. I have to tell you, whenever I travel I am running a narrative in my head about things I can use in books, lectures, papers. I am pretty sure that's why I photographed this but I have nfi what I was thinking I'd do with the image:
Just another amazing building 
This is the parliament/university/library precinct
The H is for the museum of Helsinki
I am going to put forward a theory that there is some kind of character called Black Pekka and Pekka is essentially the Finnish form of Peter, but I am going no further. Note fez. 
This little man is, if I remember rightly, in a display in the museum about how people lived around a century ago. 

I can't see this that clearly but my memory is that this display really elides the 1940s and WW2 for Finland. I am sure there were a lot of discussions about this. Or am I sure? Maybe everyone just knows why you don't talk about that stuff. In any case, note the importance of the Olympic games in there. 

I remember an elderly American (?) couple who were looking at this when I was and I pointed out to them that WW2 was missing. They didn't seem to even really register that I was talking to them, though I am fairly sure they were English-speaking.  

I don't know who this is but s/he is situated in the cafeteria area of the museum. 
The rest of these images = the unbelievably beautiful National Library. 






No comments:

is it a bear

Duolingo drives me mad, for instance when it tells me that varovainen is a 'weak word' for me. It's not. I know it means 'ca...