Tuesday, October 06, 2020

discotheque special


Another album bought from Belgium in the ill-fated Side By Side soundtrack affair. Once again, it cost a  bee's dick amount of money for the actual thing, and then about a billion dollars in postage, but once you're committed to paying postage for one thing, all the other things feel like bonus treats. So this is interesting firstly for the amazing cover, secondly for how incredibly patchy it is. The James Brown tracks in particular suck amazingly, and of course he'd be the main attraction. The best songs are probably the Millie Jackson and the Lunar Funk ones, but I'll listen again and clarify that, gritting my teeth to get through the lame JB shizzle. 

Have I ever told you how fucking much I hate 'come' jokes? (I also hate 'cum' as a verb, too, but I'll manage that and it's not relevant right now). 'Come' jokes are just so incredibly obvious and easy, they're a neighbour to 'it' jokes or 'one' jokes (remember the billboard ads for some kind of vitamin in the 70s - 'Jenny gives John one a day'? No? Good, you're lucky). So, 'Hot pants I'm coming' fits that bill as probably a joke, but let's be fair, John Lennon made the biggest come joke of all in 1969 or whenever it was with 'Come Together' which still freaks me out to be honest because I'm such a prude. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...