Monday, November 23, 2020

rain stopped play



Woke early with every intention of taking extended Royal Park walk and just nipped out to get some extra stuff in the garbage and found big drops coming down and then within minutes it was raining extremely heavily, wetting-the-enclosed-verandah heavily. I might be able to get waterproof enough to withstand it (I don't have any galoshes though) but decided nah just wait a while. 

'I saw youse, beneath the cashews'

Yesterday Helmi, the little shit, swiped Nancy to the extent her (H's) claw got stuck in her (N's) side fur. I don't think the claw went in, but it left a disturbing looking mark in the textured surface. I am not going to make excuses for H but N did give her a fright by jumping on the bed unannounced (they do give each other verbal signals a lot of the time, and I stupidly figure sometimes their sounds are for me, sometimes for each other). N is I think a bit scared of H who is unpredictable because she is so anxious but once again, no excuses. Maybe H will never settle down. 

I did some very minor tidying, shirt ironing, fridge clean-outing, etcetera and couldn't find a record I wanted to listen to (Monday, fuck, worst day for new podcasts I tell you what). (I'm almost ready to resubscribe to audible, I stopped mainly because I was so pissed off by their constant emails telling me Charles Dickens had a new book out). (Also I didn't like paying regular mun to amazon but jeez - how can you even slightly control where you send your mun). For a long time I used to think not being able to find a record to listen to considering I have more than umpteen (and in fact I finally bought that M2 box set yesterday - five albums of music I will probably often enjoy - but I just don't feel like it) meant I was some kind of brain damaged lord fauntleroy but now I realise sometimes you just don't feel like listening to a record. Oh yeah! I cracked another side of the Peter Laughner box set last night, the third LP I think with the versions of the Velvets' 'Rock 'n' Roll' and the Mott the Hoople cover and 'All Along the Watchtower'. Oddly enough since I can't really care much about 'AATW' it was the best of the three IMO, very fine dynamics!!! I can't believe I'm thinking things like that let alone saying them. But it was a pretty appealing LP side. And I finally read the book that came with the box, which to be honest I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't just a CD booklet blown up, the text is huge. Interesting but huge. In one sense it's weird (man, is that my word of 2020 or what) to think that Laughner coexisted with (for instance) Allen Ravenstine - I came across a Ravenstine album I have as well, while I was looking for a record to play this morning, and I didn't play it - but then again, in Melbourne we will have freeform improvisational stuff in amongst rehearsed 'classic' pop on a bill and we would recognise the distinction and contrast but not, you know, vomit in fear. Ultimately the record I did play was a French Canadian folk album which was actually pretty good, I don't remember buying it I have no idea why I did. 

I hope it stops raining anyway as I want to go around the park and get my 'steps' in. 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...