Thursday, May 12, 2005

waitin'

I am waiting for Mia to text me from the train (we tend to text each other 'Glenbervie' when we pass through Glenbervie station) so I can get in the Honda and go and pick her up from the station. Meanwhile I can hear Millie whining at the back door but there's no point in letting her and Charlie in as they will play up, get all settled, then I'll have to put them out again when I get the Glenbervie. Also we may go to Broady plaza and do a quick shop although I don't want to buy fruit or vegetables until tomorrow at Pascoe Vale Rd Market (I think that's what it's called although I usually forget and call it Glenroy Market) which is cheap and fun. Yes, there is Glenbervie and Glenroy up this way, Glenbervie I think is not really a real place however. This week we (the first year class) had a set text of the first Edna Everage monologue where she talks about Moonee Ponds and she says it's just near the Glenhuntly tram, which is perverse, it's nowhere near it. Bizarre. But I just remembered Edna initially came from Highett, not Moonee Ponds, so I suppose someone at sometime has recast the script to MP, but omitted to change the Glenhuntly reference.

Add to my list of books I am reading Mark Rowlands' Everything I Know I Learned from TV, subtitled Philosophy for the Unrepentant Couch Potato. I imagine I have been asked to review this because I am a television critic. But at this point I am not sure I am that excited by it. I have been dipping though, which is probably not the way to go. I should read from the start.

I accepted a lift part-way home this evening from a colleague who lives in Thornbury. I was deposited at Fairfield where the sign said the train wasn't coming for over half an hour (this is at about 5:30 pm!) then the sign revised and the train was coming in 7 mins. All the seats were taken so I wandered up to a far end of the platform where there was a seat (I was carrying tons of stuff) but there was also a weird guy up there huddled in the corner listening to a radio. He was old. Actually when the train came in I saw his face and he looked like a character actor I sometimes see on tv but whose name I don't know. The train was quick to get into town but then I just missed my connecting one, ultimately I didn't get back until 7:30. But on the way I corrected student tests so that was good. I also scored a free ride into zone 2 without a ticket, something that's pretty easy to do on the Broadmeadows line most of the time. Famous last words.

I have compiled a selection of my recent writing to try and get some magazine work in the coming months when my workload and wages fall. I am feeling on top of my game (blogging is perhaps helping) so I am keen. I want to write for The Monthly, Eureka Street (again) and if they go well The Bulletin.

Someone has given me a subscription to The New Yorker - for my birthday, I'm guessing. I haven't had a subscription to The New Yorker since I was about twelve. I'm looking forward to this. I am thinking about getting a subscription to Eureka Street. I already have one to The Monthly. Oops, I've just been glenbervied.

No comments:

the early 70s was all juxtaposition

October 1970, everyone had their arms out in the air, from Barbra to, um, whoever that is on the left, to Thumbelina. This is from the Sprin...