Tuesday, May 03, 2005

now for my feelings about driving to work

I have two main ways of driving to work. I either take citylink, which takes about 45 minutes in the morning if I can get past the Calder Freeway bottleneck before 7am (which is when it becomes a bottleneck), or I go via Greensborough and Box Hill, thus avoiding the city and most of the city traffic, which takes an hour or so, regardless of the time of day. I enjoy Greensborough more, because it's a little more exotic, but I also enjoy citylink more, because it's quicker.

On the way I flick between three radio stations. Either 3RRR (but ever since I've been on radio myself - that is, since 1982 - I've had a lot of trouble listening to music on the radio, so I prefer when they're talking to when they're playing music, by and large, though I do sometimes like the music), Radio National, or 774. 774 is the most annoying, third choice. RN has the greatest peaks and lows. I absolutely refuse to listen to sports news or any sports-related material on any of the stations. I also cannot listen to a certain prime minister so any time his rusty-hinge voice comes on I'm out of there. The breakfast people on RRR are really good although I am disturbed sometimes at how little they know. Then I am also sometimes disturbed by how much they know (compared to me).

If I'm going to drive, which I only do for some of the week anyway, it's almost always preferable to get here early, so as to get a parking space. Otherwise you have to get here and hang around in some strategic place in the car park about 5 minutes past the hour and hope some of the slack students will come and get in their cars and go home. Not that I have ever cruised or stalked but it feels a bit like cruising or stalking. You have to try and read people's body language and figure out what their inclinations are.

No comments:

the early 70s was all juxtaposition

October 1970, everyone had their arms out in the air, from Barbra to, um, whoever that is on the left, to Thumbelina. This is from the Sprin...