Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Piotr

I was very pleased with my output yesterday, I created the character of Piotr. Actually, I had created him some months ago based on something Victoria had told me about probably four or so years ago, how in Poland there is one man who does a huge amount of voice over for foreign language programs - so - he basically tells viewers what's going on in the show, rather than hiring people to overdub particular voices. According to her, the same one guy does a huge amount of this work, so he is really ubiquitous and has been for decades.

So my idea was for Elyse to meet a person somewhat like this, who had been an extremely familiar everyday character to the people of his unspecified nation. They all know his voice and he also, in my conception, does the translating and has also been, pragmatically from his point of view, a mouthpiece for the propaganda of the regime under which he served most of his life. In this instance I made the nation not Poland but somewhere else eastern European in this case using the cyrillic alphabet. This allowed me to produce a bunch of jokes that only I would get, translating via google translate from different languages which use cyrillic, mainly Belorussian, simply because I got too lazy to browse languages. One of the jokes which has been snipped out is that Piotr's last name is Belorussian for 'google translate', ha, ha. One of the jokes that has been left in is that someone has confused the show title The Rest of Quiglet with The Repose of Quiglet. So not funny but that's the good thing about jokes like this - no-one even has to know about them. Anyway none of this is really important, but I was pleased with the character design (as it's known) of Piotr, who is a kind of Colonel Sanders/Yosemite Sam rabbit. I like to think he has taken on some random accoutrements of whatever he thinks the wild west is/was. But he also a very erudite, serious person and I like his ears. 

I was so taken with him that i drew his whole six pages of the graphic novel today, as well as putting in a lot of work and walking to Cheaper Buy Miles. So I feel like I have not done a bad day's work all in all. 

 

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...