Monday, August 17, 2020

it was 31.5 years ago today

 


Or thereabouts, I don't really recall. I guess when I made my forays to the US between 1986-2001 (in particular) I thought they would be defining elements of my life and maybe they were in a sense but many more defining elements have come along since. Which is fine. Zeb Olsen stuck the picture above up on facebook a few days ago, it is me and Rick Smrstick at Yo Yo Studios in, I'm guessing, early 1989 because I'm pretty sure that's when I went to the US with Zeb. She went on to do more groundbreaking things than I ever did, in the scene. But we did also play on this record which I was pretty happy with I guess: 
Yeah so I started with the intention of writing about how the Go Team really only operated as a functioning unit for 1989 and who knows what happened then, but I've sort of lost track of what I was saying as I disappeared down a few rabbit holes at once, and realised that the Go Team single that Kurt Cobain played on, the last one, is now selling on discogs for $380 or something, whereas the one I played on is selling on discogs for about $11 which possibly means it hasn't even kept market value since its initial release (I don't know what it sold for initially, but that's not much money). I never owned the Kurt Cobain one, but I just listened to it online, it's not all that great, at least, it's not worth more than $11. In my opinion. 

The other weird thing is if you go looking for the Go Team on youtube you mainly just get the Go! Team, who first started releasing records around 2000 (in the UK). I can't remember when I would have had this conversation but I did once ask Calvin why he didn't sue (or somehow register his objection to) the use of the Go Team name by a big-name group, and he said they weren't very good anyway. Which is... well, firstly not true because they're fucking amazing, one of my favourite groups of the 21st century and I love their music more than most things, but secondly, not much of an answer, even if you feel satisfied there's a karma element to them. So he would have sued them if they had been, in his opinion, an artistic threat? Oh well. I actually think life's too short to sue people over intellectual property; just have another idea.*

*That said, I listened to an interview with Tania Lacey yesterday about the battle over Titsiana Booberini and while I did really enjoy that short film, and don't necessarily see how it could be a long film, I understand her unhappiness about someone else claiming ownership of it as a story. That's different anyway. No-one was using the Go Team name anymore.  

No comments:

more pants

  I just feel like the explanation for this is going to be so banal I am going to regret having ever thought about it. Hopefully I never enc...