Saturday, March 02, 2024

travancore walk

Today I was completely exhausted, it has been a big week - one of those weeks where you don't even really realise how big it's been until you get through it and you're like wow. So anyway Perry and I took a shortish walk through Travancore this evening. 

The Travancore estate came into being in the mid-1920s as a 'model garden subdivision' (usual nonsense from real estate agents) which means that much of it was built at roughly the same time and many of the houses are pretty spesh. I'm starting here with a couple of oddities though that I can't quite get a handle on vis-a-vis their integrity:

This impressive window above, look I'd have to say that if I was on a game show with Eddie McGuire prompting me to answer whether this huge window was original or installed in 1978, I'd probably ultimately say it's original although it's also quite possible that it's an old window from somewhere else that has been stuck on the front of this house. The overall effect is really pleasing though. 
Then there's this one. Geez. I think it's probably original. But It might also have been constructed in 1981. The glass bricks really confuse. Ok onto some just inarguably nice things...
Really nice porch. 
Fab 
How could you not. 
I totally admire this, to the point that I want to come back one morning when the sun is shining on its face rather than behind it, so I can really, you know, really see it. 
This is sumptuous. This made me think that rather than get Lachlan to make a deck in my courtyard, I should just grow every freakin' plant I can. 
I mean sure, it's possible someone died in there 14 years ago. But it's still marvellous out here. 


Great looking block of flats (obviously not from 1925). The upstairs would have quite a view, the downstairs a view of a wooden fence and a driveway to a carpark. That's what the tenant in the middle picture is enjoying observing. 

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...