Friday, March 01, 2024

the avenue, west sunshine

This morning Perry and I set out to go west and find some examples of the country in the city for a lecture I have to write about escaping the city. We had our eyes set on Derrimut Grasslands, which is an area controlled and operated by Parks Victoria as, yes, a park. 

To get there we drove through Sunshine and West Sunshine and went the length of the Avenue, which struck me as a pretty extraordinary looking street so I thought, I definitely need to get some shots of this whatever happens. Then, whatever did happen - passing two sides of Derrimut Grasslands it quickly became clear that firstly, it is a big open stretch of grasslands without much else of interest i.e. it is a nature reserve not a park and secondly, you can't get in. 

So we turned around, parked in a street off The Avenue and walked the Avenue. It has some amazing houses and other amazing things in it, wait till we get to No. 15! But first... 

Very imaginative topiary. At least, I've never seen it like this before. 
House and boat combo
Nice size
Has a shopfront in it (unused)
Huge, massive, just extra
Great veranda thing
So Gone with the Wind
I think this might be a cult's house
Love it... and now.... begins... 15 The Avenue...














So impressed. By the way, that person on the bench behind the bear is a manikin. I got a shock for a second (Perry got shocked by the bear lol). 

1 comment:

Wayne Davidson said...

It's like a scaled-down Haw Par Villa (Tiger Balm Gardens) in Singapore - https://josiewanders.com/haw-par-villa/

When we went to Singapore it was top of the list of places I wanted to go. There used to be one in Hong Kong as well but it was demolished.

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...