Friday, March 15, 2024

mrs ely - I

Thanks again to the remarkable research of the person I previously referred to as 'reader Kim', more information has come to light on the person we have come to know as Honore Bowlby-Gledhill or Honore Cecilia Paget if you prefer. Perhaps you prefer a few other of her names, and perhaps you like Mrs. Ely the best, in which case you are roughly as up to speed as Kim and I. 

I said in the post linked above that I had found a vague Australian link - that Honore's grandfather was governor of Queensland. There's a lot more connection than that, I have to tell you. She was here in the late 1930s, and she called herself Mrs. Ely, though what she meant precisely by this I don't know, as it does not seem there was a Mr. Ely (or at least, he wasn't with her, if he existed). 

I will go into greater detail of what I know about her activities as Mrs Ely in due course. In the meantime I just want to mention that I made time today to go to the Public Records Office to investigate the will of Ambrie Martin, a woman who was born in Brunswick in 1913 and died in Prahran in 1997 leaving $120 000 to her one son Peter. What has Ambrie (what an amazingly great name) got to do with anything? Well her husband (another Peter) left her for Mrs Ely in 1938 and while this presumably did not last Ambrie divorced him in 1941 and from what I can tell they did not see each other again, though I can't be sure of that. 

I will go into this more comprehensively soon. Right now I have other things to think about as my electricity has gone off with the dishwasher in mid-cycle so you can imagine how I feel. Not as happy as Ambrie did in 1941 (see below). 


No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...