Wednesday, March 06, 2024

simpsons season 26 ep 5 'opposites a-frack'

I always like to watch a little something with my breakfast and this morning SBS was playing of all things The China Syndrome. I saw this film when it came out, at Hoyts Cinema Centre in late 1979, I was 14. As it happens this was the first time I went to the movies by myself and it was a spontaneous decision made from boredom. There was a little consternation about this at home when I came back from the city but, you know, no-one had asked me when I would be back and no-one had ever told me not to see a film by myself (these are the trials of the eldest child). 

Seeing a little bit of The China Syndrome on TV is not in itself noteworthy but amazingly I then had some morning tea and returned to the TV and watched the second half of 'Opposites A-Frack', which I had almost given up on as uninspiring, if not depressing. I am so glad I didn't. 

Spoiling the ending: Something I failed to notice until today about these season 20something Simpsons is that even though I don't hate them and think the harsh criticisms of them are misjudged - i.e. it's still a pretty good show - I don't laugh at them, either. Well, I kind of hate myself for finding this so funny and believe me, this is not a reflection of my life, honestly, but the final scene (continued over the credits!) of Mr. Burns sitting up in bed with Maxine Lombard, the 'liberal' 'assemblywoman' (that's a word?!) who challenges his every view. The big point of most of the story is that they are opposed on everything but they are instantly sexually attracted to each other and celebrate in many ways their intense passion. However, the end just has them looking at emails, ads on their tablets and making half-aware conversation with each other. I'm sorry but it's very, very funny.

I think this is 'there's a sale at the garden furniture store' (yep, that first word means 'in a garden furniture store'. 
Here Mr Burns is complaining about how most cars these days are black or grey and that it's rare to see a red one. 

Seriously, I laughed and laughed, and I don't do that much at anything really (usually it's at something Laura says certainly never on my own at the television). 

Anyway. the other amazing thing was this: Maxine Lombard is played by Jane Fonda!!!

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...