Thursday, January 11, 2007

wet contrasted with dry



Well, we are having a drought, so that's maybe why this pelican felt forced to spend time at Moonee Ponds Creek (with admirers behind). I took his/her picture a couple of weeks ago. On the other hand I went to Ballarat yesterday and boy, is Lake Wendouree empty or what. It almost looks like a badly-kept sports oval. There was an article in The Age a while ago with the mayor of Ballarat saying, 'if the lake dries up, that's it', then the revelation that the last time the lake dried up completely was 1981. So, that kind of 'it'. But I am told that Ballarat's water is now pretty much undrinkable; their reserves dropped below 20%.

And still the optimists go on and on, predicting the return of rainfall in late summer. As if! It's over, I tell you, over.

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...