Sunday, September 20, 2020

what next

This battle is so real to me. I am both cats in this image. And the bag. And the shiny blue mouse. 

I think I have changed my mind and will work on I Am Not Your Superstar next. The Cut Snake story is too much of an epic and I need to (re?)develop my drawing skills a bit more before I take that one on, whereas IANYS is a lot of talking in close-up and no action, I think. So it's a technical decision based on my storytelling skills such as they are and my artistic capacity such as it isn't. 



I can see this going in many directions, I suppose I should read some Jane Austen first. 

It is going to be a great challenge to make Desiree's adoration of Caleb in any way sympathetic or engaging and to at the same time make/keep her a character anyone can identify with, particularly since, I'm guessing, she is going to be in on the ground at all his creative decisions. She seems to have a kind of teenybopper attitude to him as a pop artist while also being a contributor to his output, not that a lot of women haven't done that over time. 

I guess like the player of a theremin or Harry Corbett I will also have to ensure that I maintain a proper even handedness between my protagonists and that, for instance, my resentment of Caleb doesn't get the better of me. One of the things I like best about Toast of London is that Toast is actually a huge success, in the scheme of things, even though he is not in any way competent or valid. Do we care what happens to him? Oh, and another question: why isn't Matt Berry already writing and starring in a series of hilarious and massively successful films? Anyway. It is now the 20 September which means I am unsurprisingly behind on my list of things to do, although I haven't visited this to-do list for a while and a few of the things are completed since:



I have done more things on that list than I have crossed off, but not the big things eg the papers of which there seem to be three (and in fact I have spent more time on one other that's not on the list, but still not in any way complete).* Also, another chapter on the IRs book (I wrote '2 chapters' but I'm letting myself off the hook that one of those 2 is the chapter already written, but substantially rewritten since). I haven't written 4 songs, but the real problem there is setting up the recording equipment again after a year +. Because I sat down yesterday with the guitar and in ten minutes because I'm a regular Ross fuckin' Ryan I bashed out two perfectly adequate tunes, now lost forever to the ages because I didn't record them but just to remind myself that there's no science or art to it. So put that on the list of 'eminently doable'. I have completed a painting, so there's that:

It's Sherman as Dave Ball. It's not quite finished yet. I have at least two others in progress. 

*So yes, there are four papers to do in the next ten days but only one of those is really to be completed by myself alone, the other three are collaborative, so all I really need to do is make progress on them and return them to my collaborators. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

No comments:

flook may 1954

  24 May is missing Brooklyn! I mean... what is going on