Tuesday, September 22, 2020

kingcup cottage

My family were all fans of Racey Helps, who wrote and illustrated at least 28 children's books, and we also had some great playing cards he designed, Happy Families and Old Maid, which I should suss out somewhere on eBay so I can play with them when I go into aged care. I always thought Racey was a girl's name but apparently he was a man and his first name was Angus in any case. 

There were a few good books and probably my favourite is Kingcup Cottage which as you can see my Auntie Kit sent me in 1968 when I was three, and I wrote my name and address in. Absent mindedly I have apparently left the 'i' out of 'Prick Hill Road'. 



There is a lot to love about this book and I am not going to spoil it for you except perhaps to tell you how it ends. But it is gloriously slimy, I'll say that for it. 

Every frog book has to have a hedgehog saviour doesn't it. But this one is funny because, well, the point of the book is Francesca decides to have a party, and sends out all these invitations but everyone who gets them either doesn't know how to read or doesn't want to go to her house because it's basically always flooded. 

A solution is found, and even though it does spoil the story if you haven't read it I can't help but show you this picture because I love it so much. 


DON'T EVEN SAY IT yes the jellies tasted of tadpole and YES that means frog babies alright that is NOT RELEVANT. It was a different time, let's just leave it at that. 

Meanwhile here is us. Helmi learning to enjoy sunshine, just in time for summer. Nancy has a slightly swollen lip for some reason which I don't understand so have to keep an eye on that. I found out something more about Helmi which I probably should have gleaned anyway - I was dozing on the couch with her on me when the postman knocked on the door and she disappeared in an instant. She went and hid in the bed. So, now I know for certain: she goes to bed during the day because she's scared. It makes sense, but it's finally proof. 


Incidentally if you're interested I have had a very productive day, working on a journal article in the morning and a book chapter in the afternoon. Not a waste of a day at all. 

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...