Saturday, September 05, 2020

apropos


I hadn't thought about Willo Papers for a long time, and it seems like that marks me out from the general population who have never thought about it and never will. Apparently there are nine issues at the National Library, and I know it was then absorbed into another magazine as an insert, so it lasted a little longer. I wonder if I should go and look at those issues one day. I had material in most of them, I used to send heaps of things it was always a surprise what was and wasn't used. There were some excellent artists putting material in there. Jim Stratman was one of them. Michael Kneebone, who was the editor, was a great cartoonist too, as I already said. I'm straining to remember others. Mainly men, except me I was a boy. I wonder if I have any copies in storage. It's not entirely impossible. 

This is the only online evidence I was able to find of any of the Willo Papers art: it's a small press publication cover that includes some of MK's work, and there was an article about him too. I found this here


2 comments:

B Smith said...

"Willo Papers" came along when I needed some laffs in my life - I recall crying with laughter for five minutes at your one-page "Meanwhile" story. The legendary "Brady Bunch Kill Each Other" must have opened doors for you, surely? It was mostly men, but I remember several one-panel cartoons by Kaz Cooke.

David said...

Thanks B. Crying with laughter... wow! That's nice to know 40 years later! I suspect there are no other people besides yourself who think that my 1/3 of a page in the Down Underground Comix book was legendary, and no, as far as I'm aware/ or recall, it didn't open any doors. I didn't have ambitions to be a cartoonist as a career or anything anyway, though, so I didn't look it as anything I could leverage. But all the same I am not sure there were any doors. Anyway, thanks.

flook may 1954

  24 May is missing Brooklyn! I mean... what is going on