Wednesday, September 23, 2020

so

...then I remembered that I was of the opinion that if I was to do another graphic novel then I would probably opt to make it colour. The usual unease about the strengths and weaknesses of my drawing (colour makes everything better) but also it just makes the images more easily legible, faster. So I did a screen shot of the earlier ink drawing of Caleb and coloured it in and, well, it was probably a bad example to use, but it does look better. 

I have what some might call a romantic image of myself being like Jim Cairns in my later years except not selling my increasingly nutty self-published books at Camberwell Market, well, yes my increasingly nutty books but a different kind of nutty. 

This morning I went looking online for Racey Helps card games. Of course this selection of random Happy Families cards I found in someone's post brought back feelings for me but more feelings than memories, though I do remember them, but when we played with these cards we didn't spin out stories about the families except beyond 'I like Master Owl', etc (that was a hypothetical). Once again there is something slightly earthy about Racey Helps that stops him becoming utterly twee, mainly that the animals eat each other. He's fully fine with cute little mice balancing out the pictures of rabbits skiing or picnicking or whatever, but he's also fully fine with Mrs Owl making a mouse pie (the recipe page in the bottom right of her picture is de trop but maybe it was at someone's insistence lest it was misunderstood to be something even more disturbing). I mean I'm sorry but I just love the basic stupid (English?) humour of Miss Hedgehog loving (?) a cactus because she's spiny therefore she must love spiny plants, which makes as much sense as me having hair and therefore loving a hair shirt but maybe that's part of why it's funny.  


 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...