Tuesday, January 09, 2024

werribee etc

 What’s more irritating than this? Please let me know.


Anyway, I can wait a little while for Vodafone, and I admit, Vodafone is not a good friend to me but I am not a good friend to it, either. I consistently get its name wrong, and in fact often think my ‘service provider’ is actually Motorola.

 

I was actually coming online to tell you about my few hours in Werribee, going to the Victorian Government Library Service. I decided that the prospect of driving for an hour and a half (there and back) was too depressing so instead I would bike-train-bike it. Citymapper, which is my general app of choice for figuring out how to get places on public transport, could have told me a few things – ie there is a bus service between Werribee station and Hopppers Crossing which deposits ya at the top, more or less, of Sneydes Road (what a name for a road) but Citymapper thought I should walk to and from the station (37 minutes; with the bus it would have been about 15, max). In fairness to Citymapper the bus is quite infrequent so maybe I was asking at (or about) the wrong time of day. ‘Maps on my phone’ (I don’t actually know who provides that) was also not as helpful as it could have been. When it came to working out the best route from Werribee station to the VGLS it suggested I go north from the station, along the north side of the railway line, and cross when Tarneit Road crosses it (record scratch sound here please) that road does not have a capacity for pedestrians or cyclists. So you have to go around so much further to cross the railway line you get closer to Hoppers Crossing station than to Werribee station. (This is an interesting narrative isn’t it, you’re welcome).






This last picture is the VGLS building

 

Sneydes Road is actually a pretty interesting road, but I didn’t really need to be riding a bike in 25 degree heat and while it wasn’t painful, a slightly lower temperature would have been better (this by the way is always my policy). You go past a lot of odd buildings/facilities, some of them I suspect no longer operating but hard to tell. I don’t know when I’ll be there again so maybe I should have spent a bit more time poking around but I needed to get home. It’s amazing to reflect that it’s only an hour on public transport from the centre of Melbourne to the corner of Sneydes Road and Princes Highway. 

 

I don’t have anything more to say right now except have you seen The Other Guys, a film with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg? It’s actually pretty funny, mainly because of the hardboiled dialogue they deliver to each other and then commend each other on the metaphors used. It really has an all-star cast which confused me for a while because I thought wow, Michael Keaton is really taking a back seat here (for instance) but then I realised the film was from 2010 (not, like 2017 or 18 as I had thought) and he was pretty down on his luck then, careerwise. He was soon to resurge. It’s not important. 




No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...