Saturday, January 13, 2024

slow reevaluation

This has been a constant source of fascination to me, not just the re-evaluation of disco, but the re-evaluation of all kinds of genres and oeuvres which are understood to peak and die but which can never really die as long as people (artists and/or consumers) continue to associate them with pleasurable times in a life course, either their own or others', vicariously. 

I can't imagine what a 1989 take on the disco era might have looked and sounded like, but it would have gone heavily for some tackiness (and probably despite itself some anti-gayness - though I can't say that for certain and maybe I'm doing the people involved here an injustice - but that was certainly an objection to disco music in the 70s, that it was gay and in Australia, that it was for mediterranean migrants). Anyway, I'm fascinated.

I found this because I was trying to piece together whatever I could about the career of Keren Minshull who, within a couple of years of this production, was singing in Euphoria, a band who took Australia by storm in the very early 90s. Wikipedia says that Minshull was 42 by the time of that success and that the record company wanted another member of Euphoria, Holly Garnett, to be the 'face' of the band, but that's a mysterious set of stories and perceptions that (like my implicit denigration of the show described above) I don't know enough about to really say anything about. Would like to know more though.  

No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...