Sunday, January 21, 2024

cordite ave bridge

This is the only thing I have been able to find in newspapers regarding the old bridge over the Maribyrnong that I recently mentioned. 
Melb Age 13 December 1969 p. 7

But today Perry and I went and looked at what had been there previously and considering it's been over 50 years there's surprisingly quite a lot there. Here's the entryway into the old road, looking back towards Cordite Ave:

Didn't look inside this box...
You'll see there's no actual impediment to walking down here, only to driving down... who'd want to do that?!

What do you think this hole is for? This gate leads into the old munitions area, which by the way is heavily guarded but really very accessible otherwise. 


This, I believe, is part of the structure of the old bridge. 

The 1970 bridge from roughly the placement of the old bridge. 

Looking across where the old bridge used to go. There's really nothing on the other side that remains of the old bridge as far as I can tell.

Looking back at the east side from the Keilor side, you can see a bit more of the old bridge structure. 

Building at the Cordite Ave end.

And that's that. 

Oh, except I lazily grabbed this screenshot from Melbourne 1945 showing the old bridge very small and far away. Is it how you imagined it would be? 



No comments:

steve albini died

I am affected enough by the death of Steve Albini that I just went on social media about it, though just a generic vale, not to brag that I ...