Sunday, May 24, 2020

leavening

I guess that in reality once there was no Lennon being cajoled into producing 50%, and no Harrison begging/sulking about his quota, McCartney had to leaven his own records. So with the arguable exception of Wild Life (though, 'Some People Never Know', for crying out loud) the 70s post-Beatles records McCartney was involved in each had at least one amazing candidate for no. 1 hit single (I'll exempt London Town because I find that record hard to listen to - I didn't mention this before - but I just assume it's great, it's only that I haven't quite got on top of it yet). So you sequence an album not by going 'argh, here are the shit tracks we already paid to record so we got to have them on the record somehow' but by going 'this is an album track, fewer bells and whistles but it winds the listener down after hearing 'Let 'Em In' or 'Silly Love Songs' and builds them up for the next epic (eg 'Must Do Something About It', my favourite Wings song and not even sung by PMcC).

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...