Friday, May 22, 2020

forty years ago

So tonight I did a fill in for a RRR show called Mystifying Melbourne, and it was a case of - didn't have quite enough time to do everything I wanted to, and there were some technical fluffs, but in the main, it went OK. I had a little thing about Richmond Recorders, which is where the record above was recorded, and it was released apparently forty years ago this month, and apparently it is therefore exactly as old as The Empire Strikes Back. I was informed a few years ago by my sister Tamsin that I saw The Empire Strikes Back when it came out; she claims we saw it together. I have sincerely no recollection whatsoever of this film. I barely remember Star Wars but I know I saw that because I had a t-shirt of the movie and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have worn the t-shirt without having experienced the, you know, experience. However, The Empire Strikes Back had even less impact on me than Star Wars and neither meant as much to me as an actual Star Wars t-shirt. The whole Star Wars shizzle is as interesting to me as pork sausages, billiards, horoscopes, pegging, hockey, hunting, and a million other things are only interesting to me because I'm interested in things people are interested in, like, why would anyone be interested in something so freakin' boring.  The Laughing Clowns, on the other hand, are one of the greatest bands of the 20th century in any genre, they reign fucking supreme, and the day this record was released should be a national holiday, Laughing Clowns Day, and only Laughing Clowns music should be played on the radio, instead of what is played on the radio now, Rumours and Tango in the Night 24-7.

No comments:

eight years ago: warhol wei wei at the ngv, with robert forster

OK, this is an exhibition which I think many people will have fond memories of, judging by its extraordinary success at the time, and even ...