Saturday, November 01, 2008

even stamina


What was the last book you bought
? Miranda Young and Jeff Jenkins Rock Reader: Underneath the riffsName a book you have read MORE than once. E Nesbit 5 Children and It I know that sounds flippant, but I can't think of any adult book I have read twice, though there have doubtless been many. And I do enjoy E Nesbit. Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it? George Orwell's collected writings shaped the way I see 'life', so that probably 'changed' my outlook. Vol III most of all if I remember correctly. How do you choose a book? e.g. by cover design and summary, recommendations or reviews? Oh cover design, definitely, you moron. I choose a book by recommendation or review. Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction? Well, it would depend why I am reading the book. What's more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot? This question on the other hand seems both idiotic and unanswerable. Most loved/memorable character? Voss Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment? Lewis Mumford's City in History and the second vol of Louis Nowra's memoirs. What was the last book you read? M E Braddon's Only a Clod. Have you ever given up on a book halfway in? Many, many many times.

1 comment:

Ann ODyne said...

1. Amen.

2. Voss bwah ha.
I started reading it in the 70's, and I keep seeing it mentioned it so many places, that I really must knuckle-down to finishing it before Baz Luhrman directs.

oh and the doorbitch below is
ampsycha - I like that

the early 70s was all juxtaposition

October 1970, everyone had their arms out in the air, from Barbra to, um, whoever that is on the left, to Thumbelina. This is from the Sprin...