Tuesday, August 22, 2006

dogs!!!



Fran was in touch to agitate for more news on our dogs and what they've been up to. Interestingly, I did spend a very enjoyable weekend with them and have some news. The best time was on Sunday afternoon when Mia told me not to bother 'helping' her varnish the kitchen floor because there wasn't enough masking tape to go around. I went up the back of the garden where it was exceptionally pleasant and sunny at that moment and of course the dogs came and did their usual dog things up there, looking through the fence to the neighbours on the east side, with their tails at half mast as if to say (actually, probably 100% genuinely saying) 'there's something incredible there' but when I looked I couldn't see anything except a recent deposit of smashed up chair. Perhaps there had been a dove walking around or something. And then the guy over the back fence lifted up a big sheet of fence wire, which was of course cause for barking uproariously.

Later that day we went to the park and climbed the steepest hill, to where the Alsatian lives who sticks its head over the fence (assiduous long-time readers will recall). This time the Alsatian was pretty interesting but more remarkable was the guy who wandered out of a gate in his back fence to meander over (I gather) to the football game that was happening down on Jacana oval. Millie and Charlie were beyond non-plussed that a man could just emerge from a fence. They were shocked and horrified and chased him to bark at him (he ignored them). They looked to me for guidance and perhaps even an explanation on how a person could just appear out of nowhere like that. I didn't have the language to explain gates to them. And I figured if I hadn't done extensive urban studies I might have been just as upset as they.

No comments:

today's pants