Sunday, June 11, 2023

mccartney book again

 

AI-generated 'Paul McCartney on a unicycle frying tofu'

So I finished the McCartney book, it ends with the release and positive response to Band on the Run which even Rolling Stone magazine thinks was good, great, whatever. I am not a big fan of Band on the Run myself so overall the whole narrative arc ended with a bit of a whimper for me, but I'll live. I suppose it was kind of vindicating for PMcC. I don't quite understand why Linda's song 'Oriental Nightfish' didn't make it onto Band on the Run because it's a better song than most of the songs on that record, I always liked it - it was the real standout on a horrible Beatles bootleg I once had, called Indian Rope Trick, I didn't even realise it was Linda singing it! Anyway is that important? No. The book is ultimately yeah OK but you know, am I wiser or stupider for having 'read' it? The question you always have to ask on finishing any book. I think I am not wiser so I am probably stupider.

Oh, I will say this: as per my gripe about the way the authors dealt with Europe - they also are I think a bit dismissive of the Lagos period (I don't know where they got their information from but I don't think they spoke with any Nigerians) and also considering Paul and Linda apparently consider Jamaica their holiday destination of preference, we get very little information about Jamaica. I'm not going to say I could have done better though. Meanwhile, here are some guinea pigs and eggs, from an alternative universe. 





No comments:

what think ye of monk

I have been watching a little bit of Monk lately. The show was on air between 2002-2009 and I never watched it then (as I recall) but I have...