Sunday, October 24, 2021

snivellisation

Just over a year ago I mentioned how I was going to recalibrate a few old unfinished comic pages from the early 20th century as my second graphic novel. Well in one of the boxes previously mentioned I discovered a pretty decrepit copy of the comic book I had originally published this in. It was kind of the second-tier story to another (I have to say, pretty dark) story and I guess I was planning to progress them simultaneously under this banner:

I was really doing a lot of scene setting here and maybe sometime it would be worthwhile coming back to this as a story because there are some pretty rounded characters here, though none of them at all sympathetic it has to be said. I don't suppose you need sympathetic characters but on the other hand, if you don't have them then the reader wonders where you stand and why you hate everybody. I suppose it also reduces dramatic tension if everyone's a dick. 

This is the final spread of that comic book. The splattering is coffee or something I think and was not deliberate though it kind of 'works'. 

As I so often seem to be saying these days I have almost no recollection of what I was doing / thinking with this - like, surely the first step would have been to print five copies and take it to Sticky for instance - I'm absolutely sure I didn't do that. I am pretty certain actually I made almost no copies, and maybe gave a few away to a few friends, and that was it. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...