Tuesday, October 12, 2021

more


So a little while ago I released unto the world some recordings by myself, Dani Marich and Philip Clifford executed in I think 2019 and sort of fermented for a while. I had to think about it and just trust to the fact that Dani and Philip were really keen on it, to finally figure that I am also keen on it (also I wanted to feel I had the spare $$ lying around I could invest in this without worrying if it never came back). The really good bits on the record are where D&P had these long, loose instrumentals that they added to. People have described the album as being like Swell Maps, people independent of each other (obviously they are referring to the form of really long 'krautrock' - ugh I hate that term, sorry - tracks and some short songs).* I can deal with that comparison, in fact, it's a real compliment in my opinion. 

It was such a pleasure to work with those two, and I have admired things they've done for decades. How weird to think that I first saw Philip for instance on stage (so to speak) in some soon-to-be-demolished warehouse in Redfern playing with Madroom in, I guess, about 1984 and then 35 years later we made a record! Imagine if Marty McFly had come by to tell us that was going to happen. I guess I first saw Dani play, with Matrimony, four or five years later. Marty wasn't there either and just think! He could have invented riot grrl. 

Now I'm really keen to make a second More record** but you know, covid/lockdown etc. 

* Incidentally since I think you can read the song titles I just want to say that the song 'Don't Dye Your Hair' is a non-sequitur title from a random comment made by a close friend with very black hair that she was thinking of putting coloured? or lighter? bits in her hair, and my immediate response which was based (1) on knowing that she was just thinking out loud, not terribly vested in it (2) that she'd do what she wanted regardless of what I said (3) that I had no strong feelings about the whole enterprise. The truth is I personally don't care what people do with their damn hair. 

** We actually already have about 1/3 to half a second LP, the tracks that were left off this one not because they were in any way lesser, it was just that we didn't have room to fit them on this record. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...