Thursday, October 07, 2021

activity


So this is my latest lockdown project, although it would probably be a project anyway lockdown or no lockdown, a series of drawings for a book of poems by a hot new previously unpublished author who needed my help it would seem. Usual caveats apply re: my inability or ability when it comes to actually depicting stuff (and I have to say I feel like this picture is ridiculously unbalanced but I can't really say why). Anyway. When you see the actual poem, you will come to appreciate that this is not a crazy interpretation of it, although the distant city and the colossal fujiesque mountain are really just my own idea that I extrapolated from what I read. I am going to do 8 pictures, I have done this (obvs) and one other so far, the one other tbh I am not completely certain about (it's OK but really I did it mainly to test out my new purchase, an Art Tracer, which is kind of like an electronic periscope that projects images onto the wall where you have to trace them). There's nothing actually traced in this picture except the axe and logs which were part of a line drawing in an old newspaper, and I didn't use the Art Tracer I just used tracing paper. It feels a bit naughty tracing a drawing to make a drawing, but it was very freely interpreted. Anyway - I feel pretty good about these, I think this could be a really nice project. 

The other thing I did today aside from my usual swathe of previously-whinged-about meetings was finally send of the final corrections for my grandmother's memoir, which has been over two years in the making. She died almost twenty years ago but left a few big chunks of biographical writing and a travel diary, which my mother and I have been turning into a book to be privately published and not sold to anyone. It's as much work as a real book though, and satisfying as it is complicated. I certainly learnt a lot (about my grandmother obvs but also from trying to flesh out through newspaper research some of the people she mentions in her recollections of the 1930s). 

Hope you're well. 

No comments:

emily symons speaks out! thirty four years ago!

As is so often the case with these interviews, I have precisely no memory of meeting Emily Symons, though you'd think I would because I ...