Saturday, October 18, 2008

laurie-isms

We went to Felix's birthday party (2) this evening and it was great, I don't know Felix that well which is my fault, but everything I saw of him suggested a fine young man. Laurie who is a little older (2.8) took my hand when we got there and led me to a particular chair and insisted I sit. I was suspicious and sat down gingerly, which was the wrong thing to do as there was a concealed whoopee cushion there. However we got it out and stomped on it, so that was OK. He then made small talk, asking me if I went to the Grand Final today, I said no. He said 'Did you just stay at home?' and I said yes and asked him what he did, 'I just stayed at home.' Later people were praising his cricket swing and he was acting as though he wasn't listening and just casually happened to mime his cricket swing, which is very good. As he was leaving I gave him a book (Joe Annual 1970) which I had picked up with him in mind when we passed through Northam a few months ago, also a couple of records including the one depicted below. I gave them to him in a Readings bag and he said 'Oh thank you David, I wonder what it could be.' (Later describing this to Mia I suggested he sounded a bit like Alexander Downer, but this has unfair connotations). Anyway I think he was into it.

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...