Friday, October 24, 2008

new strip on the block

The new shopping/office block area facing Camp Road is proceeding apace - exciting! Mia joking refers to this as the future site of a pool supplies shop, which is a funny joke (maybe you have to live here to think so). This was previously a piece of vacant land, perhaps never built on, a block away from the station - christ, progress! I think (no, I assume) it was set aside for future expansion of the high school which has now been entirely relocated. Council is also doing a bit of signage.

Personally if I was Council I'd be less into erecting shopping mall extensions and more into trying to figure out a way to turn Broadmeadows city centre into something remotely visually and even practically coherent. As it is, it's a bunch of buildings - some fine in themselves, some shitty - adrift in a car park sea. I feel like I'm being encouraged to drive from the library to the shopping centre (a 1-minute walk). I have to remember that the City of Hume is not all about childless urbanites like us, but also about vast areas of relatively rural space as well as almost-public-transportless suburbia (though every day I thank our lucky stars some more for the 542 bus).


No comments:

return of the tree pants

  Well, actually these aren't returning they're new, and the tree never went anywhere, it's unable to do anything about this ind...