Saturday, October 04, 2008

some vistas and a plaque

So we went to Sale yesterday because Mia was shortlisted for the John Leslie prize and though she didn't win it was really an excellent exhibition. I recommend it. Here is Robert Nelson opening it. He is standing in front of a picture by Dale Cox, whose art was on the cover of a book I co-edited from last year. To the west of Robert Nelson and almost entirely obscured by his elbow is a picture by our friend Paul who was also there.
This was the picture that won:

The artist seemed a nice chap. I liked many of the pictures, here's two of a group of four I enjoyed:

Afterwards Paul, Mia, Gabriela and I went to a mexican restaurant and had decent food. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but it has a picture of Speedy Gonzales on the window. Here is part of the mural inside. The people are strangely proportioned, I feel.

We stayed at the Hacienda International Motel; here is a view from near its reception area, this morning.

The gallery itself has many plaques affixed just within the front door, and one outside, most of which seem to bear little connection to the gallery and are without explanation, such as this one:

(There is no foundation stone from the Sale butter factory anywhere nearby).

2 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

"there is no foundation stone from the Sale Butter Factory anywhere nearby" ... bwah ha haaaaaaaaaaa

(Ya gotta laugh to keep from cryin')

Anonymous said...

I must say whenever I stay in Sale, and this year it was often, I stay at the Hacienda. No complaints. A proper motel not too seedy not too classy, not too expensive.

today's pants