Wednesday, July 29, 2026

helsinki 28/29 june 2026

Yesterday morning just after the Taivaskallio visit walking back to the Park Hotel - passing these boarded up buildings - I wonder what they were - they look slightly more institutional than apartments but maybe that's all they were. 


Back at Käpylä the kioski was doing great business (many I've seen around are apparently derelict, as per the Karhupuisto one) and once again I am struck by the ridiculous truth that, for some reason, in Australia we can't have this. I really don't know why but it's apparently the case. 



I suppose we have analogs to it so I should not be so whingey but when Melbourne is so boastful all the time about its coffee chops, why not institute a straight up kiosk and park culture in Melbourne?
That said, as mentioned, the kiosks are often empty and unused. As per this one:
 
Anyway so... here's something else I saw (below). I imagine a seagull is on the head of this statue more often than not. 


I suppose I will fight to the death for op shops to sell any trash they find, but it is slightly disgusting that this book - surely banned in Finland or it should be - is available on a secondhand shelf. 

In the afternoon of the 28 a lot of the time was spent at Jätkäsaari, which is a new suburb right next to central Helsinki, built on former port land. I am interested in this place. 



I'm sorry you had to see this (but you did).


Sometimes I take a picture of an industiral-ish landscape and I think 'that's so Jeffrey Smart', a credit to Smart, not me. 




I woke up early this morning (29 June). 3:30 am. It was light. 



Cafe I went to this morning, because it opens at 7:30 (earliest in the area) and had good reviews. I think it is called Kulma Kahvila. 



No comments:

helsinki 28/29 june 2026

Yesterday morning just after the Taivaskallio visit walking back to the Park Hotel - passing these boarded up buildings - I wonder what they...