Monday, July 27, 2026

finland 27 june 2026 - 1


Arrived in Helsinki at 6am, after 25 hours of flying. My waking hours have been aided by three Michael Connelly novels in one big volume, perfect inflight material. I had other novels (which I have to read in the next week because I am going to pass them on to Steve) but I went for the easy reading material on the way here. I like paper reading matter because you can keep reading while landing or taking off, unlike if you have a device. On the way back I imagine I will be reading from the kindle, I have a LOT of stuff on that which is half-read. 

I also watched the beginnings of a plethora of films and tv shows, I can't even remember what most of them were now. A lot of films ordinarily have ups and downs and I didn't feel I could face the downs, even though I knew the ups would come soon enough. There was at least one series that made absolutely no sense to me I think partly because it was all shouty and distorted.

I am writing this at the quiet arty airport station, it feels a bit like the bottom of the new part of the Art Galley of NSW only it has trains running through it. 

I have developed a bad headache presumably because I have not had any coffee since I left Melbourne. Addicts are disgusting and should keep their problems to themselves (is what you're thinking). 

The Finnair plane was delightful though - made last week. 

An hour later

I'm at a cafe called Lazy Fox in a very deserted central Helsinki at 8:30 am. I have that 'what to do before I check into the hotel' thing going on but, also, the 'by the time I check into the hotel the day will possibly effectively be over for me' in terms of falling asleep on my feet probably. So IDK. I have a kind of hankering for going to see a Hollywood film which is what I generally do when in Finland. Something I would otherwise not bother with. Perhaps Toy Story 5. I have heard it is OK. 

No comments:

finland 27 june 2026 - 1

Arrived in Helsinki at 6am, after 25 hours of flying. My waking hours have been aided by three Michael Connelly novels in one big volume, pe...