Monday, July 27, 2026

finland 27 june 2026 - 2

So I am pleased to report that I was actually able to get through the morning-to-early-afternoon without collapsing in a heap anywhere and made it to the delightful Park Hotel, Käpylä in one piece. I forgot (or never knew) that the tram to Käpylä doesn't run on the weekend, so the route here was rather tortuous, in the least tortuous way anything could ever be tortuous. The most anxiety-inducing thing about getting here was (a) my phone was running out of battery and for some weird-ass reason, my charger wasn't working - so while I was happy to walk all the way from Arabia (iykyk) (not that far - 25 mins at the most) I was facing the prospect of my phone dying when I was so close, yet so far from my destination. 


The most super irritating bit of my journey was actually not that, it was fine (and I stopped en route at the Frangipani bakery cafe, shout out to them, not only did I get a good spinachy pie and coffee and water but also they charged my phone a bit) the irritating bit was finding that the only people talking on the tram to Arabia were old (I say old but be fair - not much older than me or perhaps my age, but dumb boomer attitudes) Australasians. Let me tell you people, Sandy Stone and/or 1950s-70s Edna Everage, and for that matter Barry McKenzie... not at all dead. These people were dumb as shit and didn't think anyone could understand them, I suppose, like they were talking in a tram full of monkeys. Not talking about the people around them, thank god, but crikey christmas what a bunch. They thought it was very, very, very, very funny that they were going to Arabia, although for some reason actually they had no intention of actually getting off the tram - they were just going to go back. I think it was three couples. They were super annoyed that there was a LGBTQ march in town, because it was stopping them getting to the 'sights', I shit you not. The 'sights'. Classic slit-mouthed creeps who can't help but make everything about them. Fuck's sake. 

Yeah so hell is other people, but hell is never really good local birds:



This is the famous former plague cemetery, at least, it is still a cemetery for some but there aren't that many tombstones left. That seagull deserves a post of its own, it may yet get one. 

Yep so I just have no idea about the above. But look at the below, some just gorgeous big pictures, too big to put in a suitcase and take back to Australia, damn it. Just a little too big.  


Which sucks because I really wanted them. 


The market in question. It's really good. I bought a jumper, which now seems like a ridiculous thing to do because surely it will never get cold again?! But anyway, that's what I have - a jumper. It's great and it was cheap. 


Then I went to a few UFFs. I didn't have to but you know - I was filling in time and not really amazingly awake. I bought a couple of shirts, pretty pleased. Short sleeved shirts, which will seem ludicrous when I get back home, but will make sense in time. 

I didn't buy this shirt. I liked it, but it was too small for me. Love that label though. Finnish for 'mister' is 'herra'. 

I don't have the slightest clue what this is or was about. I think I mentioned previously that if I put too many pictures in a post it kind of buckles and falls into the void, so I will stop here and resume soon. 









No comments:

finland 27 june 2026 - 2

So I am pleased to report that I was actually able to get through the morning-to-early-afternoon without collapsing in a heap anywhere and m...