Thursday, June 30, 2011

starlight in a puddle

I took the dogs out at 6.30 this morning, much earlier than usual, and as we were crossing the bridge saw what I thought was an early cyclist heading to the city. Oddly at the end of the bridge it stopped and then went on, but I figured, just adjusting his or her apparatus. Its light went on ahead of us for some time then seemed to career off the road and into the grass, lying there. I thought the cyclist had fallen asleep at the bars... then (it was still pretty dark) I couldn't see anything but the light and a black patch. I thought I had imagined it all and I was just looking at starlight in a puddle.

Then it leapt up and ran off. It was a dog with a big light on. Charlie went crazy. It kept a distance of about 250 m ahead of us for the next 20 minutes then disappeared.

I don't know if that's an interesting story or not, but as my grandmother Mavis used to say, it was something that happened.

2 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

"Charlie went crazy" - he wants a light too. He also wants to flop in the grass for a short read.

David said...

We have a dog light, actually, it's bone-shaped and red. Scary.

art project

  Every so often someone lines some stuff up like this at the dog park known as Clayton Reserve which, by the way, is undergoing significant...