Sunday, January 18, 2009

ginko

I am drinking ginko tea which purports to improve one's memory and sprightliness, or rather, its makers do. It is slightly less revolting than I would have expected, but still faintly revolting. Last night Rage played some eps of Countdown from I think 1981 and 1983. The 1983 one included an homage to the Blues Brothers, and KC and the Sunshine Band. It did remind me that I love 'Give it up' by KCATSB, and I enjoyed the finely honed versatility and performance of the group's percussionist and two drummers. Inbetween the Countdowns Rage played some videos that were probably supposed to be classic disco era songs but which were in many cases the original artists performing rerecorded or remixed versions of their old hits,* eg a late 1990s (?) Candi Staton doing 'Young hearts run free', and what seemed to be Sister Sledge either reperforming or miming to the old 'We are family' many years after the original, etc. What the point was of these crapolas is anyone's guess. I suppose once again I will get the comments 'those artists were exploited the first time around and it was only when they redid their songs they made some money etc etc'. Actually news flash I didn't ask them to enter the music industry and just because they happened to be a one hit wonder well, no-one owes them anything subsequently. But they are asking me to look at their new versions of old songs that I have heard enough for one lifetime anyway! Wow, the ginko is working already (in the wrong ways).

*I bet whoever programmed these songs did not check whether they were originals or was perhaps even too dumb to care about this most important point.

No comments:

weekend

I just get so tired. I have been extremely exhausted on weekends recently. But it might be because of the heatwaves.  So, see below. Do you ...