Friday, February 03, 2006

his newest yell

It's not surprising that in 1930 everyone was crazy about Mickey Mouse, but it is odd to see some of the inter- pretations of the character that were presumably drawn from memory in advertising by the advertiser's unartistic brother-in-law, etc. This Mickey has a cane a la Charlie Chaplin, those tiny ears etc, and is not at all recognisable as the execrable monstrosity we know and love and never think about today. I like the description of the cartoon as a 'yell', I suppose that means you enjoy it so much you yell with excitement or pleasure. This is from the Brisbane Courier of December 1930. I also read in the Courier from the same year of a court case in Britain in which the company who had the license to manufacture Mickey Mouse products was sueing another company which had made a Mickey Mouse doll but which the manufacturer was claiming had original attributes that stopped it being an outright copy i.e. it had teeth and whiskers. I'd love to see that.

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...