Wednesday, August 05, 2026

july 3-4: helsinki/tampere

OK so the Helsinki Public Library is out of sight. Libraries, generally, rock and this one is superb. 










So after that, and noting that there is a sign saying a lot of ordinary people don't like to be photographed (my bad) I went to the Sen restaurant again - the Vegan Vietnamese restaurant in Jätkäsaari. It's just really good!!! Sorry! 

Like the last time (which I probs didn't tell you about) there were no other customers there, but the woman who runs it and her kids were there, the kids doing homework I guess. Food was excellent, and it overall just seemed super wholesome. 


Move on to this morning: here's a hare I saw out the window of the airbnb this morning at... god knows what time. Oh, the time was recorded on the photograph. 7:44 am. 


It's really nice to see a hare looking quite unafraid but always leaving you in no doubt that it's unafraid because if there was any threat it could outrun anything you can set after it. 


So many times in the past week I have passed a cafe called Morton which was always closed, but this morning as I was en route to the station to go to Tampere I was late enough in the day to find it open. So I tried it out. Not disappointed. Staff delightful, food excellent. There's just that little problem of why can't I ever get a decent coffee that's not in a thimble, but as someone said (I can't remember who but not a Melbournite),. 'well, you're from Melbourne', like that explained it. And actually it does. 

Wonderful place. 

Thence to my spiritual home (yuck, I hate myself for feeling this way, perhaps that's part of it) Tampere. What a divine city. Look at this...
I had to not buy this fucking amzing painting of these ridiculous women skiiers. I love it though. So Tampere. As is...
This...! 
So, this is where I'm staying today and tomorrow, and it looks good from the outside but wow...

It's heaven inside. More soon. 

No comments:

july 3-4: helsinki/tampere

OK so the Helsinki Public Library is out of sight. Libraries, generally, rock and this one is superb.  So after that, and noting that there ...