Thursday, July 30, 2020

i told her it was just a story



Laura and I had one of our drawing sessions last night. She can actually draw, whereas I just internally (occasionally externally) whinge about this bizarre disaster I have got myself into. I remember in the past going on extended drawing jags where I ended up producing things I actually felt good about, while recognising that they were not really conventionally excellent. In this instance I am just grinding through it. I had a long sequence - three or four pages - that was to take place over a telephone conversation and then I realised: I don't know how to draw people holding telephones. Also, one of the characters, Grace, doesn't really seem to have ears, which made the placement of the phone difficult. On top of that, three times I ruled up a page of frames and drew Grace in the first frame holding a phone and it - the phone - was disproportionately large. It was a relief to realise I could actually rewrite the whole sequence to remove the phones altogether. There was no reason for them to be talking on the phone, they could just as easily be talking in real life. 

In other news, I have no other news, so that's interesting.  

No comments:

today's pants