Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Summer Gold: The Three Degrees' 'Jump the Gun'



OK, this is ostensibly the 7" version but it is NOT what this song sounds like on Summer Gold. I mean, the version on Summer Gold is a different recording, absolutely, and it's not just 40-year-old-cassette-in-a-20-year-old-cassette-player -in-a-28-year-old-car different. I guess there's something I will have to figure out there. The 12" version sounds a lot more like the Summer Gold version though obviously not as long (discogs does say it is an 'edited version' - so, an edited version of the 12"? Some cut-up getting three minutes out of the 8-minute 12" version? It's certainly not just the first three minutes... OK, I don't care.)



The song is a Giorgio Moroder-Harold Faltemeyer gem, with all the guitar muscle the Village People thought they had on 'Sleazy' but totally didn't. It goes nowhere fast and has a lot of fun getting there. As do we, the listeners.

The Three Degrees have been putting out records as long as I've been alive, which is not that long a time really. They performed at Charles and Diana's wedding or something, I wonder if they did 'Jump the Gun'? I hope so, inasmuch as I give a flying fuck that people there had a good time. Cheers!

No comments:

today's pants