Friday, January 13, 2017

i thought it would be fun to do this because i can't imagine a time i could be less in the mood

What is some of your favourite music?

When the chips are down, I would have to say, that while I would resist the descriptor of 'white pop music' (not that anyone really thinks that's a thing exactly, but you know what I mean) and also of 'postpunk', which I also think is a bit of a misnomer, most of my favourite music sits somewhere in the orbit of those ideas. My absolute favourite band, as you will know if you've read about it here, though I'm unlikely to talk about it much anywhere, is The Red Krayola. That band formed the year I was born, didn't really exist much between about 1968-1974 and 1987-1992 but is essentially as old as I am, inasmuch as it's a band and not one man using a 'band' name for most of his musical projects, which let's face it is really what it has been since 1974. I first became aware of this band in 1982 and I've been pretty devoted ever since. Obviously I like some records more than others, on the spectrum of oh, let's say, Fingerpainting which I have in CD and vinyl format and neither of which really appeal, to Soldier Talk. 

I like music made by guitar-drums-bass bands mainly with keyboards sometimes, usually sort of alternative pop, with a few exceptions. I really like Todd Rundgren, Versus, We Ragazzi, The Undertones, Orange Juice, Dave Graney/Clare Moore bands, you know the kind of thing I’m talking about. I have written about all this stuff.

List your three favourite scents. 

Not very scent-oriented, sorry.

How do you ground yourself or recharge?

That’s the thing. I don’t know how to do either of those things. I wish I did. I have no strategies. I kind of, in some sense, resist strategies. Nothing works. But maybe I don’t really want anything to.

Any ways you treat or spoil yourself? 

No. Coffee in the morning. You old charmer.

Besides your blog, do you have a creative past-time?

Yeah I guess I do, thanks for asking. I draw occasionally, and I am learning guitar, sometimes I write songs. I have made little films. Although I will usually only do really realised creative things when I’m asked to, usually by Stewart Anderson who, unreasonably, believes in me.

Share something difficult you've been through.

As you know, my marriage ended three years ago. Well, technically I am still married, but you know what I mean. So in a sense I haven’t been through it – I’m still going through it.

What helps you fall asleep?

Sleeping pills.

What is one strength and one weakness of yours?

A strength is, I am delightful. A weakness is I am too delightful.

Have you ever received a letter or written one to someone else?

Um, yes, I really have. More than one of each variety actually. I am not sure why that would be surprising, even if I was, say, ten years old, but I’m not, I’m 51.

What makes you feel powerful, what breathes life into you? 

Fuck all.

What's your favourite thing to do at night?

I am not that into night.

If you could go back to any eras, what would they be? 

1920s. As long as I didn’t have to stay there.

Your favourite things to wear at home? 

Clothes.

If you could be immortal or have an extremely long life span which would you pick and why? 

I need more information frankly. Immortal as in, can never die, regardless? Even if I was decapitated, or cut into 500 pieces? Or put in concrete and buried at sea? Because I’d rather be dead than bored forever, and/or unable to move only think and see and feel. Or immortal as in, can die anytime I want? Well, then, why limit myself. The only difference between being immortal and having a long life span in that instance is, you’d be able to choose when you died. Also, does immortal mean eternally young or at least, not getting any older? Or does it mean being 1004 and looking it until you’re 1005 and looking it? Need to know.

Tell us about something positive you have done for yourself or someone recently.

All I ever do, is positive things for other people. Why pick and choose. Everyone gets the benefit of my generous good nature.

One thing you like about your appearance?

I’m handsome and cute. That’s a tough balancing act but I pull it off.

Something that makes you feel better after a hard day?

There have been times when, following a stressful situation, I genuinely do like a stiff drink. But on the whole, I’m always on. I don’t need something to make me feel better. Well, obviously what would make me feel better after a hard day is coming home to someone other than Nancy, someone I liked and who gave a loose root, although come to think of it as well, coming home to Nancy is pretty nice.

If you have one, name a favourite book & movie. 

Don’t know about favourite book. Always held that my favourite movie was Make Mine Mink. I’ll stick with that for now.

No comments:

today's pants