Thursday, September 28, 2006

i don't know what i expected but i certainly didn't expect absolute brilliant success!


Pip played at the East last night supporting Ariel Pink (pic is from soundcheck - I know there are more pics around which I will put up here asap). I mean Pip's short set was pretty iconoclastic if not bombastic, and there was stuff in there guaranteed to upset almost everyone. So even though I knew the first song came out really well, I had no idea what the audience would make of it - I could see them all but they mainly looked a bit stunned. But after the first song was over, their reaction was so incredibly positive. That made everything worthwhile, seriously. But after the show was over Marcus and I ferried Pip out of the room and everyone was slapping him on the back and calling out his name and so on, telling him they loved him and what a great show it was! I can't remember ever being at a show where people were so positive about a performer. People were telling me it was great, and I'd say 'go and tell Pip, I'm sure he'd love to hear that', and they'd say, 'Oh no I don't want to bother him'... he came away with a new record offer, and a pre-existing one triple confirmed...

It brought a tear to my eye, and I'm not joking, because we were all scared of course about how it might go, but also because I know Pip's day to day life is pretty nasty and brutish, and to then play his first show in 37 years to people who by and large weren't born until, probably, ten years after then, and for them to be so overwhelmingly into it, was amazing.

I think 'amazing' is the word of the day. Thanks go to the Pip Proud Group: Marney who was so encouraging and supportive of Pip even on stage, Julie who held the whole thing together so brilliantly with actual organisation and superb sitarring, Mia who is always me, and me. Also Greg for mixing and Louis and Mickey for driving and always being there for their father and many others besides whose names I will add in later and pretend they were always there. Also the other bands of the night were grouse, Das Butcher, Kes, and not forgetting Ariel Pink who was a hell of a guy and his scratch band - never has a scratch band sounded less scratchy. I am as I would never otherwise say blown away. Seriously. It was probably the best show I ever played, certainly the most emotionally affecting and rewarding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear you say that. We had an excellent time and that never-to-be-dupliacted performance will be etched into my memory forever.

Anonymous said...

Sounds brilliant - congratulations. Wish I'd been there.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations upon congratulations to you, Pip, and everyone else involved.

shhh... said...

A random list of things I loved about the night:

The repetition of the phrase "definitive gig" in catches of conversation.

The process of Ariel Pink winning over the perturbed hetero art boys who've spent their lives declaring "no, I'm not actually gay".

The destabilization of indie irony – where too now?!

Not feeling too horrendous in the morning after making numerous declarations of affection.

The Kes Band – they just make me happy.

And my very favourite bit came just after Pip’s first song. It was that moment where his self-satisfied yet humble smile quivered as the crowd confirmed what he thought.

Hooray!

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...