Monday, February 19, 2024

two journeys

On the weekend, there were two journeys made. One was Saturday when Laura, Perry and me to the very fringes of Gippsland. Essentially the trip had two stops: Tynong and Blind Bight (and some disappointing op shops made more disappointing by how freakin' promising they were). We went to Blind Bight first but for some reason the pictures have uploaded backwards so to speak but who cares, let's just whip through them...

Does the perspective on that bottle make you nauseous? Or just the thought of them mixing the syrups in the water and carbonating them.*
So these two signs, above, are nothing. They are attached to a corrugated iron depot that looks like the front of a building that still has a lived-in house behind it. In Tynong. There would have been some great pictures of excellent dogs at the Granite Cafe, most notably a little dog called Douglas, but he kept getting behind something whenever I wanted to photograph him. 
Above, is this even worth recording, in Koo Wee Rup a closed business with really shitty punctuation. That's all. 
Above Blind Bight at low tide, or the lowest tide we saw it at, when we got there there were some loud men, irritatingly loud, loading a boat, a fishing boat probably, onto a trailer from the water, and they apparently did it more or less just in time, because soon it was this, with billions of tiny crab holes in it and the sound of crabs, like a Slade's fizzy drink (Kola, Pyne, you name it) going flat. 

There are some ponds before you get to the nature which had these black swans in them, pretending to be I don't know what, something other than swans. 
The nature. There are 17 million ants in this picture. 
What more could anyone want but to be recognised by a bench? 

OK journey two - not Saturday but Sunday. This was a much, much less interesting journey, so adjust your expectations accordingly. 

Perry and I needed to go somewhere so we went west. This below is the radio broadcasting building supposedly in the spanish mission style I mentioned here and here. At least, it's as much of it as I could see from the gate. Big deal I hear you say, but you seem to have forgotten I told you to adjust your expectations. 

After this we kind of meandered in the car trying to find something that wasn't impossibly boring. Did we do it? Well, we got to this part of the world, Edgewater is what it calls itself though actually I think it's officially just Maribyrnong. 





Would like to come back and do a tour of Jack's Magazine sometime. I had a student a few years ago who did a really good masters thesis about it as a heritage 'problem' (hope that's not a misrepresentation) and I had long been interested in it. The surrounding high-rise is pretty interesting too. 

* I didn't notice when I took this picture but the word 'favourites' has almost completely faded out on that Slades sign. I didn't read it properly when I photographed it anyway but I guess I sort of thought it was a strange way of saying, 'the Slades family' (of flavours), but no, family favourites. 

No comments:

woodlands park yesterday

New build mansion in Providence Road