Thursday, September 17, 2026

k'foops, kafoops, kerfoops

Alright so I am less excited about K'foops now that I dug a little more and found that it's just a minor esoteric variation on Kerfoops (my first thought, you'll remember) and a lot of people have thought about it over time. I found this in the Age few years ago:

though I think it is inaccurate to say that Green 'offers Kafoops... as [a variant]' or at least he doesn't mention K'foops at all. No reason why he should be inspired to dive any deeper than he already did, of course. 


So, Kerfoops: 

This is not precisely that, but it is from a (n actually not unamusing in parts) parody of rheumatism cures from of all places the Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette from 29 March 1876 p. 3:


Next mention I can find (by the very easy means of searching newspapers.com) is in an Adelaide paper called The Sport, which seems to be mainly about sport but has some humorous items that might never have made any sense and certainly don't now. This is from 21 December 1923 p. 7:


'Those are all words', yes, and one of the words is 'Kerfoops'. By the way, I have to say hats off to whoever drew this banner, I love it:


Anyway back to Kerfoops. Another mock wedding, this time in Wagga (Daily Advertiser 23 September 1926 p. 5)


And on it goes, actually sporadically up to the present day though as mentioned above more recently just as an observation, like my original one, on how it's a name people once used to mean something and now no-one remembers precisely what (perhaps because it never had a precise meaning). I am not going to go into Kuffoops. Sorry I'm not. 

No comments:

k'foops, kafoops, kerfoops

Alright so I am less excited about K'foops now that I dug a little more and found that it's just a minor esoteric variation on Kerfo...