Monday, December 08, 2008

a blog entry i could not be bothered finishing

'If you don't eat you don't shit, and if you don't shit you die'. I can't remember where I heard that but it always struck me as stunningly clever. Something I was leaning towards saying in my post yesterday - the one you see below - is that one of the motivations for posting new posts is that I get sick of the old ones that come up on the front 'page' and I wish to push them off into the ether, or at least into the category of 'recent posts'. For this crummy reason, as you must surely have guessed, I do sometimes post on this blog just for the sake of it. While I totally resist suggestions in the threatened and trembling mainstream press that blogs are just unedited, self-indulgent crapola, I realise nonetheless that most are and probably sometimes mine is for this very reason.

I would like to ruminate a little on Never been kissed, a Drew Barrymore comedy I watched 4/5 of on tv last night. I don't have strong objections to DB (she will be glad to hear) although I was surprised to note in this film that she wasn't taller than I thought she was (see, that is blogging gold). In this film, DB plays a newspaper copyeditor in Chicago (good early scenes of central Chicago which I enjoyed mildly, having fond memories of that place) who if I got this correctly, has never been kissed or, presumably, kissed anyone or for that matter done anything very intimate, though I think (I wasn't paying absolute attention) this might have been fudged a bit with a monologue in which DB says that she he's never been kissed kissed. So, she goes undercover in a high school to do an expose for her newspaper on the whim of the paper's weird old proprietor, and explores/manipulates the school social hierarchy, or has it manipulated for her by a man whose status/relationship to DB I am quite uncertain of but perhaps he's her brother? Or some other generic and platonic male associate of hers who, apparently, can also pass for under 18. All the stereotypes are there, inc. gridiron jock, bitchy shallow girls, nerdy girl, etc. I suppose it would be hard to do it without them but it would have been nice to try. Nevertheless. The film has the air of something which was written to be something other than a Drew Barrymore vehicle but which they managed to find a role for DB which allowed her to totally be in every scene and run the whole show. I wonder how it ended? Since there was no Still never been kissed, or

[...]

No comments:

more teeth

So yesterday (Anzac Day) I became increasingly aware that I had something going on in my jaw. By late in the evening I had become convinced ...