I don't have truly strong feelings about the death of Syd Barrett, except it's a pity that:
1. He probably had a pretty sad life for the last 35 years
2. His demise meant Roger Waters' ascension
3. When they said 'Syd Barrett' on the radio immediately a picture of Sid James popped into my head
4. Half of 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' is crap
5. Radio National chose to play 'Shine on you crazy diamond' as tribute to him (Radio National gets almost everything musical wrong except when they give Tim Ritchie his druthers on that really late night show). Of course what they should have played was either:
The TVPs' 'I know where Syd Barrett lives'
Jesus and Mary Chain's 'Vegetable Man'
Or, you know, something by Syd freakin' Barrett.